Friday, February 8, 2008

Enemy Territory

Run.... Shoot..... Pack up..... Watch out for my Artillery!!

Way back when there was a game called Wolfenstein 3D that a neighbor of mine downloaded on Telnet BBS before "the internet." I thought it was the coolest game around. Then came Spear of Destiny, and I got caught up in the Duke Nukem and Doom games. Neither of them really ever matched up to the basic First Person Shooter (FPS) of Wolfenstein 3D.

Flash forward 10 years or so and out comes Return to Castle Wolfenstein (RTCW) in 2001/02. I spend hours if not days downloading the game demo at 10 kb/s. The single player version was so much better than any other game I had played that I couldn't wait to play the multiplayer version. I loaded the game onto my ZIP drive (Boy, where did those go?) and took it to the computer lab at my college. Some other gamers were playing Decent and since I never liked space games, I went and loaded this up on my own. A few others started looking at it and before I knew it, there was a LAN party going on.

That had to have been about 6-7 years ago and I have been playing the free offspring Enemy Territory ever since. I am currently one of the leaders of the Blood Bucket Clan, www.bloodbucket.com. This is a great fun, free game that anyone can get the hang of in a matter of hours. It is a WWII themed game where people try to accomplish an objective or frag other players. It is quite amusing and there is actually a level a skill that can be accomplished with practice, like anything else.

Being in a clan is something I first experienced with the Dogs of War, dogsofwarclan.info, about a year ago. Clans are communities of players who congregate around a game server, sort of a microcosm of a larger society. I never imagined that I would meet so many good people that I would eventually call friends. My game name on Enemy Territory is .bb.Halfcracked.

I am also working with one of my fellow clan leaders, Nerfherder, on creating a custom game map. This should be a great learning experience.

No comments: