Friday, February 12, 2010

Steak 'n Shake = Blah!!

Ok, stick with this story about Steak 'n Shake for a moment...

Today is my wife's birthday. I asked her where she would like to go as a family to eat. Her response was:

We haven't been to Steak 'n Shake for 3 years. Why don't we try that?

So, why not? I'm always up for variety in my dining experiences. Well, I guess we now know why we haven't been there in 3 years. And after talking with co-workers today about dining nightmares, I was unaware I would run into my own on my wife's special day.

We ordered drinks, then food for my three kids and ourselves. I have now learned to never underestimate a kid's menu that is for "kids ages 12 and under." Here is a copy of the menu.

The waiter first tried to give us food that was for another table, then 15 minutes later they brought out ours.

My oldest daughter got the kid's salad which was a plateful with a small cup of dressing. OK, that is what we expected. She was happy with it.

Our youngest daughter got a "steakdog" and a sealed cup of applesauce. Fine.

My wife and I also got what we expected.

Then they handed my son a serving of macaroni and cheese, as well as some fries. The wife and I were a bit shocked to say the least. I believe there is more macaroni and cheese in a cheap microwavable cup you can get at the grocery store.

When we questioned the waiter, his response was that is what it is... You can order a side of macaroni for 99 cents, and it will double the size.

Well, the logic would say that a menu that was suitable for kids up to age 12 would have a proper portion size without having to order another serving, wouldn't it?

The waiter was obviously oblivious to our view and continued to ask us:

"Is there anything else I can get for you?"
Hmmm..... how about an appropriate serving of macaroni? That was all I could think of.

The only comfort anyone gave from the "rest"-aurant was when I went to pay the bill and the cashier asked how everything was.

"Well, I was a bit disappointed with the kid's serving of macaroni."

"Yea, they are small" is all the response I got as he asked me for $30 for the night's dining experience.

I guess I know why I won't think about going back for another 3 years.

No comments: